Monday, March 5, 2018

Comp Title Challenge

Madeline at Short and Snappy created this tag over a month ago, and when I saw it on some other blogs, I had so much fun doing some mental gymnastics to figure out comp titles for some of my own WIPs. Then Savannah over at Scattered Scribblings tagged me for this and now I actually get to complete it - and you guys get to see my "creations" - and some of my WIPs!

So, without further ado, I present -


For those of you not familiar with the term, a comp title is short for "comparison title." When you make a comp title, you chose a few different titles of other, already published (and probably well-known) works that you think your book is similar to. And these works don't have to be limited to books - TV series and movies work well as comp titles, too. Basically, you're trying to bring together the feel of the novel by comparing it to other works.

I'm picking four of my WIPs to craft comp titles for. Some of these I've edited, some of them I haven't even finished the first draft of. But here they are. (All the links lead to Goodreads pages for the books).


Soul Snatcher // Coraline meets Inkheart meets The Hobbit

Soul Snatcher
So . . . confession: I haven't actually read Coraline. I watched the movie when I was ten and it scarred me for life. But the feel of the movie, the horror and pacing and thrill of it, is what's pertinent to this book.

As for Inkheart - the characters and the style and maybe just a teensy bit of the storyworld? Storyworld is really why I picked Hobbit - the setting is supposed to be comforting and cozy even when it's trying to kill you, and the Hobbit is pretty much the epitome of that in my opinion.


Smarts, Hearts, and Courage // Wizard of Oz meets Seraphina

Smarts, Hearts, and Courage

In case the title wasn't a tip-off - this is kind of a Wizard of Oz retelling. (You know - the brain, the heart, and the courage.) I'm in the writing-the-first-draft-as-I-plot stage, and I'm not 100% sure if this project is going to succeed, but it's so much fun to write that I'm sticking with it for now.

So I chose Wizard of Oz for obvious reasons, but Seraphina was a bit more of a struggle. In the end, I chose it because of the storyworld - it's not quite a steampunk fantasy, but it's getting there. That's what I'm (currently) planning my Oz to be - a lot of jewelers and clockmakers and Victorian era-esque stuff (And yes, Victorian-esque is totally a world. Absolutely.) The idea of dragons morphing into humans also has a few parallels with certain things in my book.




Theater Ghost // Saint Anything meets Hamlet

Theater Ghost
In a nutshell, this is "modern theater ghost." This is the idea that's been rattling around in my head for a long time and has been dying to be written. Right now, the idea is "What if an actor died and came back to haunt their small-town theater?" Honestly, I think this one was the hardest comp title for me to come up with, and it's one of my weakest.

I chose Saint Anything because of the style and the tone of the book - it's a modern book, about characters grappling with coming of age questions, and it's tone is just slightly darker than a "gumdrops and beaches" book.  (You know what I mean. One of those light and fluffy modern YAs.)

I chose Hamlet because one, it's a ghost story and two because it's a play (that counts for something, right?), since this does take place in the theater.



Shattered

This is an older project of mine that badly needs a rehaul and almost got it pretty recently. I've pulled up this little one and started working on rewriting the plot and fixing potholes that little twelve-year-old me thought weren't a problem at all. Basically, shapeshifters live in a world connected to this one by portals that humans call mirrors. mirrors. They're always guarding these portals, and when we try to go through the mirrors, their cold hands press back, to keep us out.

I'm choosing Lunar Chronicles because of the characters and the cool, slickness of Meyer's writing. Keeper of the Lost Cities is a little bit more light-hearted, which is one reason I chose it. The other reason is because it has a "group of people hides from humans but influences the humans without them knowing" thing going on.




And there we are! And I tag: 

Catherine @ Rebellious Muse
Danielle @ Snapper 
Ivie @ Ivie Writes
And anyone else who thinks they want to give this a shot. ;)

So what do you think? And do you have comp titles for your WIPs? 

16 comments:

  1. CAN I HAVE THEM ALL PLEASE? Seriously, these all look so epic. I LOVE THEM ALREADY <3.

    ~ Savannah | Scattered Scribblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I'm glad that you like them! Thanks for the tag - I had so much fun doing it!

      Delete
  2. I NEED THESE BOOKS IN MY LIFE!!

    Thanks for the tag! I will probably be doing it in April because I have the rest of my March planned out, unless I pop up during a weekend. XD

    <3

    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - I can't wait until you do it, Ivie! It's so much fun (though it can be hard!) and I would love to see what kind of comp titles you come up with!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, these sound AMAZING, True! Love it! I have to do this challenge, but I have a very difficult time coming up with comp titles for any of my stories... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It took a so much longer than I expected to come up with some of these comp titles. But it was a really neat challenge. I can't wait to see what your comp titles are!

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with the comp title of Soul Snatcher. That one scared the daylights out of me *shudders*.

    Oh neat! I've been seeing this one go around and have wanted to join in the fun! Thanks for tagging me, True!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone agrees with me there. ;) I flat out refused to read the book because the movie scared me so much, but now I'm thinking about trying it sometimes. Did you watch the movie or read the book?

      You're very welcome! And I can't wait to see what your comp titles are!!

      Delete
    2. Neither! Just the description was enough to convince me. I got a decent scare out of Soul Snatcher too...

      I (finally) finished the Comp Title Challenge! It's here: https://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-challenge-of-finding-7777-comp.html

      Delete
  5. TRUE, YOUR BLOG IS SO EPIC. And these stories... they. sound. a m a z i n g. I couldn't even pick one that sounds the most amazing, they are all so equally awesome-sounding.

    I REALLY need to read KotLC! And Inkheart, too... O.o

    And I just have to do this tag sometime, even though I haven't been tagged yet, because all the tag posts I've read for this have been soooooo much fun!!

    Great blog. Great post. God bless. <3

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lila! Yes - you should totally read KotLC and Inkheart! If you like fantasy, I think there's a really good chance that you'll enjoy at least one of these, and both of them are such fantastic reads!

      Feel free to steal it if want! :) It's such a fun tag to do, even though it's a bit more challenging than you might imagine at first. I would love to see you do it!

      Delete
    2. Or Lila, I could tag you when I do it. :) (Was planning on it anyway. XD)

      Delete
    3. True! These all sound so unique! :D Especially Smarts, Hearts and Courage. AWESOME BECAUSE I NEED IT NOW THANKS.

      And thanks for the tag too! <3

      Delete
    4. Haha - thanks! I'm glad that they sound interesting to other people - especially SH&C, since that's a pet project that I'm still not sure if it'll be able to stand on it's own. And you're very welcome - I can't wait to see what comp titles you come up with!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, your stories sound SO amazing, True! I hope I'm about to read them one day :)

    I would try this tag, but I'm afraid I'm very bad at choosing comp titles XD The only one I can come up with is for my dystopian WIP, which would be Hunger Games meets Maze Runner meets Mowana!

    <3
    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! And wow - Hunger Games meets Maze Runner meets Moana! that sounds really neat and makes me want to know what it's about! Comp titles can be tricky to chose, but it is a fun challenge, and I think that you did well for that one work.

      Delete

What do you think? I love to hear your thought and opinions, so feel free to drop a comment. I only ask that you keep it appropriate - anything vulgar or harmful will be removed. I do my best to reply to every comment, so make sure to check back!