Monday, February 26, 2018

The Power of "Once Upon a Time"



Guess what this month is? It's February and that means . . . Fantasy Month! Jenelle Schmidt started this lovely link-up where bloggers come together to talk and rave about fantasy for all of February! Because fantasy is an amazing, magical genre and deserves an entire month to itself. ;)



So you know what month it is now. But let's go a bit deeper - can you tell what day it is? Today, according to my calendar, is National Tell a Fairy Tale Day. And so, in honor of this month and this most esteemed holiday, I want to tell you a story.

Once upon a time, there was an ordinary little girl who lived in an ordinary house with an (extra)ordinary family. This girl loved to read and always had a book in her hand. She read many books, and some of the stories that she read the most were fairy tales. The Brothers Grimm, Charles Perrault, Hans Christian Anderson, and Andrew Lang. She had read them all, and reread them again and again.

Her reading was useful - she knew how to battle dragons and trick bridge trolls and had followed so many princes to save the princess that she knew how to save herself. And one day, this little girl decided that she was going create her own story.

"Once upon a time," she wrote (because she knew the best stories start that way) "there was an ordinary girl who went on an adventure."

And so she became a writer. And (big surprise) this girl was me. It was fairy tales that brought me into writing, that ensnared me in reading. Simple fairy tales have played a large role in my life, and I know many of these stories like the back of my hand. Or - at least one version of the story. 

When they hear "fairy tale," some people first think of dancing candlesticks singing about French cuisine. But let's be clear - as enchanting and sweet as they may be, we're not talking about Disney stories. In fact, did you know that the original fairy tales weren't made for children? They were originally written for adults, and when they were watered down to be told to children, they were still the "be-good-or-else-you'll-die-a-horrible-death" kind.

Why did these silly, plot-holed filled stories survive the test of time? What was it about them that captured the hearts of so many people?


We hear fairy tales and associate them with possibility. No one says "Little Red Riding Hood should have been dead you idiots, not pulled out of the wolf's stomach and ready to conquer the world." Or, if they do, they're quickly silenced.

These stories give us hope. It's comforting when the wicked stepmother is foiled because it shows that when it comes to good vs. evil, good will triumph in the end. We see the hero (or heroine) fight for their destiny, no matter what opposes them.

As readers, "Once upon a time" teaches us that anything is possible. And when we come out of fairy tales and back to real life, we can look at our own future knowing that we can fight our own evils. We can can conquer our destiny. (*Cough*Or we'll be like the little mermaid and turn into sea foam.*Cough*)

And as writers, "Once upon a time" teaches us that words are powerful. Fairy tales taught me that I could make magic - and "Once upon a time" was my magic spell. I saw that after those words, anything could happen, and realized that also meant could make anything happen.

And so, today I leave you with a reminder about the power of words. Fairy tales are beloved stories that have weathered ages of telling and retelling, but they do more than just entertain us. They teach us to dream - and remind us that anything is possible when we do cross this gate of "Once upon a time." 

Happy Tell a Fairy Tale Day! What are your favorite fairy tales? Or tell me a story - I would love to hear your stories and your thoughts. 

7 comments:

  1. This was awesome! I really loved your story. It's always nice to hear where other writers came from.

    Unfortunately, I didn't grow up on fairy tales and I'm only just now getting into the realm of fairy tale retellings, so I don't know many of them very well, but I'm honestly loving the ones I've read so far! It's a refreshing change of pace to my normal reading.

    Thanks for your reminder of the power of words. We often forget that our words have the ability to change people for better or worse. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - which ones have you read so far, and which were your favorites? Fairy tale retellings are some of my favorite reads, because it's so neat to see how the author incorporates new elements and retains new ones.

      Delete
  2. This was beautiful! Words are so powerful, and they have meaning. Writers shoulder an enormous responsibility when we pick up our pens or laptops and begin working with words to create something new.

    My favorite fairy tales are the slightly less well-known ones - like The Apple of Contentment and Twelve Dancing Princesses (though that one has gained notoriety in the past couple of years with lots of authors retelling it). I also love the Six Swans and the Goose Girl... and so many others. I grew up reading fairy tales, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right - the power of wielding words is a responsibility, and should be treated as such. Oh, Twelve Dancing Princesses was one of my favorites, especially when I was younger. I read that one so many times - but I can't recall any fairytale retellings of it. Have you read any that you particularly enjoyed?

      Delete
  3. "Be-good-or-else-you'll-die-a-horrible-death" - that eXACTLY describes the earlier versions of fairy tales, at least the ones I've read!

    I also think fairy tales have so much potential for fascinating new retellings; we can keep the hope and fill in the plot holes. ;)

    Thanks for the post, True - I forgot about Tell a Fairy Tale day!
    "be-good-or-else-you'll-die-a-horrible-death"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that assessment was correct! I would get so frustrated at times because some of the fairy tales would be so overly preachy, but at the same time they were good stories. I like your point about retellings filling in potholes - I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are right, and it's a great way to brainstorm some.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I totally agree. I love the Disney versions of faerietales, but I most certainly enjoy the originals. Faerietales have much to teach us if we are willing to listen.
    "Fairytales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." (G.K. Chesterson) Not every faerietale from the Grimm or Anderson or any other classic ends with the happy ending we are accustomed to experiencing. But a couple of my favorites are Beauty & the Beast and The Wild Swans. :]

    Great post! Spot on, m'dear, spot on. :]

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love to hear your thought and opinions, so feel free to drop a comment. I only ask that you keep it appropriate - anything vulgar or harmful will be removed. I do my best to reply to every comment, so make sure to check back!