Monday, February 5, 2018

A Procrastinator's Battle - The Fear that Keeps us from Writing

What keeps you from writing? Nothing, you may tell me. I'm always writing. All right, fine. Let me rephrase that. What makes it hard for you to write? 

Unless you're some super amazing writer god and writing is never hard for you (in which case, I want all your secrets), you should have an answer to that question. Time. Writer's block. Procrastination. Insecurity. Sometimes, although some writers don't like to admit it, it's like you're battling for the pen. Writer vs. Big Scary Forces. 

And that's what this series is going to look at. Those big scary forces that try to discourage you from writing. (Because no, this completely wasn't going to be only one post until I actually wrote it out and realized I was both rambling and wanted to add some more points. No, not at all.)



A Procrastinator's Battle



One of my biggest struggles against work in general is procrastination. There are times when I can procrastinate an entire day of school away (I'm ashamed to say that's happened more than once).

A few months ago, I heard someone say that procrastination is a product of fear, and that the reason we repeatedly put off actions is because we are afraid of something that might happen as a cause of those actions. When I first heard that, I scoffed, unconvinced. I’m not afraid. Reading a book is just more fun than finishing that essay.

But when I started to examine those times that I put off answering emails or turn away from whatever I was working on, I began to realize that the person was right. What are you afraid of? I asked myself when I took the tenth break in half an hour. What’s holding you back? And once I searched for it, there was always an answer buried somewhere. Each fear might not have been obvious – but it was there.

A fear of failure. A fear of what someone else would think. A fear of the unknown. Each one would appear in simple costumes. I’ll be better rested tomorrow. Just one more chapter. I can work on math now. All together, they work to push away whatever action I need to complete that I don’t want to. That I’m afraid to.

Once I began to notice procrastination in my general life, it only took a few weeks to notice when I was procrastinating in my writing. I didn’t notice it at first; procrastination is sneaky like that, giving you so many good reasons why you can’t focus just yet. But it was there, and it was only a matter of time before I noticed that my writing sessions were becoming less and less productive. Opening a new tab every few minutes. Spending half an hour deciding on fun but unnecessary world-building details.

A little fear and a little doubt is common in writing. Little fishhook questions poke at authors all the time, waiting to sink their barbs into them and reel them in. In all the projects I procrastinated on, I let myself listen to the little doubts that came wriggling into my mind. But what if this plot is too weak? This was stupid. Who would want to read this? What if no one likes it? What if the plot is cliché and overused and way too complex? What if, what if, what if.

I recognized the symptoms, but when I tried to diagnose the fear, it wasn’t staring me in the face. I had to dig for it.As a writer, I’ve learned that what if questions are some of the most powerful and amazing questions there are. Also as a writer, I’ve learned that they can be some of the most terrifying. And when I started to look under all of those doubts, I saw one question that underlied them all: What if I’m just wasting my time here?

I was afraid that I was wasting time on any one project.

Right now, I see people my age working internships and at jobs. I hear them talking about their majors in college or their plans to go into the military or their plans at life. I see teens I knew when I was a kid getting married and having children. And I see me, trying to decide if my race of shapeshifters should be able to naturally fly or not.

And a little demon sits on my shoulder and asks me, if this isn’t the story, if this is some two hundred thousands words that will never see the light of day again, then why should I waste my time writing it right now? Couldn't I be doing something more productive? he hisses at me.

That's my fear that holds me back. But there are others, too. The fear that you'll never be good enough. The fear that no one will like what you've written. The fear that nothing matters. You have to find your own fears; I can't do that for you. But there might be a deeper cause of your procrastination than you think. 

So we've learned what's hiding under procrastination. Next time, we'll take a look at your options in the face of of this fear and in the face or procrastination in general. Until then, I wish you all the best, dear reader. 

What do you think? Do you have things that keep you from writing? Do you see procrastination as a form of fear? 


13 comments:

  1. This is amazing and definitely something I needed. I'm planning to self-publish this summer and I have a little more work to do. (Editing is fun. #sarcasm) Lately, I've been in a rut. I feel like my writing isn't good enough. Even though you didn't say it here, you reminded me that this book is something I'm writing for the teens who can't find clean books, who can't find books that are actually realistic to life. I'm writing this book for the younger me who has such a hard time with books because there was always some form of smut in them.

    Procrastination only makes me less likely to reach my goal. Thank you for this post, True. (Btw, I really like your name.)

    ~Ivie|Ivie Writes

    p.s, Thanks for following my blog. That means a lot to me. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that this post was able to help you in that way! Self publishing is an awesome goal, and I really like your dedication to creating books that are appropriate, fun, and clean - that's something that's hard to find these days. But even if it seems hard sometimes, I know that you can do it!

      Delete
  2. OH ABSOLUTELY!!!!

    Being a perfectionist, procrastination plays in as a fear to me. (the little demon says to me "you can't write it unless you are doing this, or read this, or...and the list goes on and on...)

    Awesome post, True!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think that procrastination and perfectionism go hand in hand. I'm the same way, and it's like we want to be perfect and because we're afraid that we can't make it prefect, we don't want to do it.

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful, and something I struggle with too!
    It's a huge fear for me for some reason that my writing will never be good enough, so thank you for this post. <3

    -Gray Marie | graymariewrites.blogspot.com

    BTW, I found you through Lisa's blog, nice to meet you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gray Marie! I'm glad that this resonated with you. And nice to meet you, too! (I love your name, by the way - it's so pretty!)

      Delete
    2. Don't mention it! And thank you!! ^_^

      Delete
  4. This is a very thought-provoking post--I love it. I tend to procrastinate all the time (I'm doing that right now, sigh.) The realization that it might be due to fear hits home in a real way. O_O

    Lovely blog, and you just scored yourself a new follower! ^_^

    Faith//thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ! The idea that I procrastinated because I was afraid seems ridiculous at first, but now it makes more and more of an impact on me. And thank you - I'm glad that you like the blog. :)

      Delete
  5. This was an amazing post, True! Usually I only procrastinate on my classes (yep, I've done it for an entire day too :P), but when I began to procrastinate on my writing, I was shocked: the habit had appeared so unexpectedly. I realized I was afraid of getting stuck on a certain chapter or outline and was trying to avoid that as much as possible. That's definitely something I have to watch out for now!

    <3
    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Audrey! Putting off school work is (unfortunately) something that's so easy to do. (I think I'm technically doing that right now . . .) Yes! It's so shocking to realize that we're procrastinating on something that we love to do. It's good that you know to watch out for it, so it won't sneak up on you as easily.

      Delete
  6. I definitely think that procrastination can be a big issue... Some random thoughts on the "what will people think?" I do that too, sometimes I blush when I think about people reading my work, but I try to remember that God says not to fear man. If he's given me the story (which I believe he has) then I should only strive to make it the best it can possibly be.
    astoryspinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great reminder, Erica! It's been a long time since I've (purposefully) shared some of my writing, I think it is fear that's keeping me back. But that's something that's so important to remember - thank you for sharing that!

      Delete

What do you think? I love to hear your thought and opinions, so feel free to drop a comment. I only ask that you keep it appropriate - anything vulgar or harmful will be removed. I do my best to reply to every comment, so make sure to check back!