Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Looking Back: June


I've seen a lot of other bloggers do this kind of wrap-up post, and have thought that it would be a neat thing to do, but never write tried it - until now. Hopefully, I'll be able to get one up in the first few days of every month - but lets see. ;) For now, though, here is a wrap-up of the highlights of my June. 



     With summer started and school gone, my days are a lot less structured but only a tad less busy. Still, June was not a slow month.

     At the beginning of the month, my family had our annual end of school celebration - just a little thing with family. And then we put some mentos in a bottle of Diet Coke (just "to see what would happen") and went bowling. A great way to wrap up our school year. 

     Throughout June, we've been involved in a local theater production that is opening soon! I'm running the spotlight for the show, and have also been covering for our lighting operator while he was gone, so I've finally learned how to operate a light board. (I've been having way too much fun with that!) This is my eighth production, and west's been so much fun to be a part of this. 

     My family went camping in the 103 degree weather one weekend. (Technically, we cheated and got a screened shelter, but shhh.) It was a lot of fun, despite the heat, and we went hiking, swimming, geocaching, and just had a good time together away from home for a while. 

     Overall, June was a great month for family and friends (and a lot of theater). Watching movies with my sisters, just having fun during rehearsals and at the playwriting conference, and getting together to sing with friends (there may have been plans for a flash mob included in this . . .). 


     June was a good month for reading - there were, in particular, a few hot, lazy days when I had no plans so spent them writing and reading. By my count, I've finished 11 books this month, which is a little above my recent average. I've also been reading (but haven't finished) a few other books in addition to those eleven, including the monster of a book known as It. Not as creepy as I thought it would be, and I'm enjoying it so far) 



     Olivia Twist by Laurie Langdon. I've been wanting to read this book ever since it came out back in May, and finally got to two weeks ago. I think I read it all in one day, and it was such a good story. My first book by Langdon, and I wasn't disappointed, even though it wasn't exactly what I expected. (There may or may not be a book review coming up for this soon.)



    Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman. I read and enjoyed Serephina about two years ago now, and when I saw another book by Hartman, I picked it up. It surprised me that it was set in the same world, a few years after Shadow Scale. I enjoyed the story, but Hartman's writing sometimes seems overly complex or wordy in a way that makes my head hurt from trying to keep up with it. Still, I liked the characters and how Hartman tackled some present-day issues in a fantasy setting.

     The Genie's Bone by Savannah Grace of Inspiring Writes. This novella was admittedly one that I read a beta-reader this month - but let me tell you, it was gorgeous. I had so much fun reading it, and it was such a beautiful story and definitely one of the reading highlights of the month. (And if you haven't checked out Savannah's blog yet, you should. She has so many amazing posts and is one of the sweetest people in existence.) 



   
  I completed a flash fiction piece for Rosalie Valentine's flash fiction dash, which you can read here. This was my first time to really write flash, and I loved it! I'm already going back and experimenting with this style and genre some more, and I'm having so much fun.

     Participated in the 100 for 100 Challenge. It's been harder than I thought it would be, but writing every day is something that I've found helped me a lot. About twenty days in, I realized I really needed a better outline, so now I have a chapter-by-chapter outline that's really helping to condense my seat of the pants rambling. My 100 for 100 project is a (year old) work that I've been rehauling - June was spent fixing the plot and starting out on the second version and writing it again. 

     I've also been working on outlining and planning another novel. This is probably the first time I've tried writing something that's not pure fantasy in four years or so, and I'm realize just how different it can be to write different genres - or even plot them! 



     Like I mentioned above, Rosalie Valentine did her annual flash fiction dash, and the stories that came in were so good! Her wrap-up post links to all of the stories - so if you have time for some light reading, you should really check it out! I'm still working my way through the stories, and am so impressed by the talent and creativity in these pieces!

     Lisa is celebrating her blogoversary! (If you haven't checked out her blog before, let me tell you that it is amazing and you really don't know what you're missing out on.) And she's hosting a writing contest to celebrate, so if you like writing - or really cute GIFs - you should go check it out.

     Julian also celebrated a one-year blogoversary! (And again - if you haven't checked out Saver of Memories before, you really should because it's a great blog and Julian makes awesome posts.) 

      I'm also very excited to announce that A.M. Frisby, a writing acquaintance of mine, is starting a writer/beta reader matching service, where you can send in requests for betas for your story or to be a beta for someone else's work. She's really looking for people to submit stories to help get this project going and to spread the word. So if you're looking for someone to edit or beta your story, you should definitely check out this form and contact her at ampfrisby@gmail.com to get matched with a beta (or become a beta)! 


     June was a good month - a lot of writing, reading, and having fun with friends and family. It also meant I wasn't as diligent in putting up blog posts this month (*winces*) - something I'm hoping to make up for in the coming month. 


     How was your summer so far? Anything exciting? Fun? Have you read any good books this month? 

9 comments:

  1. YOU MENTIONED MY SMOL GENIE BONE *promptly passes out* Oh my gracious, you are the sweetest thing, True - literally made my week :D. You were such an epic beta reader, I'm so glad you enjoyed the story! <3 <3 <3

    Also I must mention that your flash fiction piece for Rosalie's challenge was SO. GOOD. I loved it so much OH MY GRACIOUS - I can't remember if I commented on it or not (writing deadlines are cramping my commenting *cringes*) but ASJHGLASHGLJAGS you should know that I loved it VERY MUCH xD. You did an epic job with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES THAT FLASH FICTION PIECE

      IT WAS EPIC AND FANTASTIC AND BRILLIANT AND OTHER SYNONYMS FOR AWESOME

      I forgot to comment too BUT I ADORE IT SO SO SO MUCH and I'm such an enormous Shakespeare fan myself XDD you completely nailed everything about flash fic omw

      Delete
    2. It's absolutely nothing more than you deserve - I adored reading it, and it definitely was one of the best works I read last month. You have such an amazing gift for writing, and the Genie Bone was such a great book!

      Aw, thank you so much! Your praise and excitement means a lot to me, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed reading it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your month has been busy!

    Yes, the 100-for-100 has definitely been harder than I was expecting. 100 words couldn’t be that hard, right?????? Wrong.

    Looking forward to seeing you in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I know! A hundred words a day sounds easy - but when it's every day, it's.a little bit harder. Carving out time in my day has helped a little, but it's still a challenge. Good luck to you for the rest of the challenge!

      Delete
  3. YOU MENTIONED ME you are so sweet ^-^

    oh and you liked Tess of the Road? Haha. The author is a local one for me - from my CITY HURRAY. BUT. I FOUND THE BOOK SO DEATHLY BORING I am very sorry :( I am happy you liked it though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's from your city? Wow, that's neat! Haha - never apologize for your tastes in books or music or the like! I enjoyed the books, but I can definitely understand why it might bore readers - parts of it drones on and on. I think I like it in the same way I like Oliver Twist by Dickens. ;)

      Delete
  4. I still think Tess of the Road has one of the most beautiful covers EVER. I really need to add it to my TBR...

    (Thanks for linking to my blog, btw...can't believe I've been doing this blogging thing for a year now!!)

    The hardest part for me about the 100-4-100 is that I tend to forget to log in my word count very day, so then I have to go back and figure out which paragraphs were written on what day, lol and that's crazy hard..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't it gorgeous?! Like, how there are two castles on these ridges but also a dragon in that whitespace. (A fair warning: there was some content in the book that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under the age of sixteen, but the story was neat)

      Haha - going back to decode the "when did I stop writing that day" lines does sound hard. But it also sounds like you're getting in your word counts, so great job on that! Good luck for the rest of the challenge!

      Delete

What do you think? I love to hear your thought and opinions, so feel free to drop a comment. I only ask that you keep it appropriate - anything vulgar or harmful will be removed. I do my best to reply to every comment, so make sure to check back!